Suede is one of the most exclusive and sought-after materials when it comes to shoes or boots. It has a unique, soft feel and a rich appearance that is hard to beat. But to ensure your suede boots maintain their beauty, they require a bit of extra care and love.
Follow our step-by-step guide to ensure your suede boots are always in top condition!
1. Regularly remove dust and dirt
Suede is known for its ability to attract dust and dirt from our daily environment. This dirt can penetrate the material and make it dull or give it a lackluster finish.
How to do it: Use a suede brush with soft bristles or a soft shoe brush. Gently brush the surface of the shoe with light, even strokes, always in the same direction as the fibers to avoid damaging the material. Regular brushing will maintain the natural sheen and texture of the suede.
2. Stain removal
Despite suede's beauty, it can be a challenging material when it comes to stains. Some stains can set deeply if not removed promptly.
How to do it: If you notice a stain, address it immediately. For light stains, use a suede eraser or a pencil eraser and rub gently. For tougher stains, consider using a product specifically designed for suede.
3. Protect against water and moisture
Water is one of suede's biggest enemies. When exposed to water, it can stain, discolor, and even shrink.
How to do it: Before you head out, especially on rainy or humid days, spray your suede boots with a water-resistant spray. This forms a protective barrier without affecting the look or feel of the suede.
4. Store properly
If suede is stored in tight or humid conditions, it can affect its shape and quality.
How to do it: Ensure your boots aren’t squeezed in your closet. Use shoe trees to help them maintain their shape. Avoid storing them in humid places and keep them away from direct sunlight, which can fade the color.
Benefits of caring for your suede boots
- Longer lifespan: Your shoes will last longer and give you more value for your money.
- Fresh feel: Well-cared-for boots always look fresh and new.
- Save money: You won't need to invest in new shoes as often if you care for the ones you already have.
What can happen if you don’t care for your suede boots
- Permanent stains: If you don’t clean stains quickly, they can become permanent.
- Lost sheen: Suede can become rough and dry without regular shoe care.
- Shortened lifespan: Your boots can wear out much faster if you don’t care for them.